Sunday, October 13, 2013

Snow and Bacon in Wyoming

Ok, so I think the rest of my emails should just always mention bacon in them, from now on! haha

My new companion and I got off to a busy first day together, teaching a lesson to a new investigator, having a great dinner with a family in our ward who had invited someone to dinner so we could teach again.  AWESOME!  I love member missionary work, it’s the best kind!  We also got to teach someone who has not been coming to church as much and that went well too.  I think back to my first few weeks in the field and boy, they were nothing like this past week we had! I am glad that she has this opportunity to just jump in!

On Thursday we learned that we switched district this transfer, so I am back in my first district when I got to Laramie, for my first two transfers! Well... we are the only set of sisters in this district.  That is a first for me to be the only set of sisters, but it's fun!

The thing I wish I had done more of before my mission: learn more hymns on the piano!!! I have played the piano so much on my mission! For district meetings, trainers meetings... yeah, if you know the piano and are going on a mission, learn more hymns --  it will help you out!

We had a lesson planned at the L’s house Thursday night… well my companion was in for a BIG SURPRISE!  The L's and I planned this Monday night -- Nerf attack with the L's boys.  And what was I going to do?  Just walk in their door?  For real,  they said I could!  So we pull up to the L's house and say a prayer (we try to always pray before lessons) and then I grab my bag from the backseat, and load my Nerf gun.  The look on Sister G's face was PRICELESS! I'm sure she thought I was crazy, I mean I do have my fun moments! haha  So I said, “Let's go!” Nerf gun loaded and ready and I walked in! The L boy's ATTACKED!!  Man they were so ready, and they were good!! It was so much fun!  Welcome to Wyoming Sister G, and welcome to being companions with Sister Smith! We have fun, and work!  And sometimes we blend the two together!

Thursday it finally felt like Fall!! Orange leaves, crisp windy air!  But Friday morning we woke up to 6 inches of SNOW!!  I am NOT joking!! 6 inches!! My life is kind of a joke sometimes... really!  It was only Fall for a day!! Well, guess who didn't have snow boots yet? Guess who has never driven in the snow before? Guess who loves the summer and is not ready for winter? Me!!   Guess what? Friday was a great day, even with snow! I drove in the snow for the first time in my life. My companion and I are still alive!  Went to a lesson at Sister H's, and Sister H found out I didn't have snow boots yet, so she gave me one of her extra pair! She told me, “You get blessed for helping missionaries out; I am just greedy for blessings!”  haha It was funny! But I'm so grateful!

Also on Thursday, we had a lesson with an investigator, and she said that prophets must be on the earth today, it just makes sense! WHAT?! OK, guess what you can watch in your home tomorrow and Sunday? General Conference and you can listen to the true and living prophet on the earth today!!   Later, I received a text from the eight year old who we have been teaching and is getting baptized; she wants me to speak at her baptism.  It melted my heart! I am excited too! I felt so loved!

Saturday: I was looking forward to this day for a long time! GENERAL CONFERENCE!! We went to the Stake Center to watch the first session, then to the L family’s for the second session!  Our investigator was there and so was the sister who just got baptized recently.  I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE General Conference! Wasn't Elder Bednar's talk amazing?!  I was getting things that weren't even related to tithing, but still blessings in our lives! I got so excited when I heard that Elder Holland would be speaking that session!! It felt so wonderful to just be in a home, with a family, watching General Conference! The way I am used to it! And love it!

On Sunday, two sisters in our zone made us cinnamon rolls!  The General Conference tradition of homemade cinnamon rolls for the Sunday morning session of Conference CONTINUED, on my MISSION!!!! It was wonderful!   We watched part of the second session at Grandma's house and that was so nice! I love Grandma and am so glad I got to meet this sweet elderly lady! Then we had a lesson with our eight year old student, I love that girl so much!   Her mom gave us cinnamon rolls too!! I guess a lot of people have that Conference tradition.

On Monday we had a good P-Day. We had dinner at our stake president's house, because it is a new transfer, and guess who shows up too? President Brown, our mission president!  Well, that was a surprise! And then once dinner ended we had to rush out to our lesson! I did get to chat briefly with President Brown on our way out of the house, but we needed to go teach a lesson, and he was definitely understanding of that!

Well today is Tuesday, and most of the snow has melted, and it is back to looking like Fall! It's about 60 degrees and I am wearing a short sleeved shirt! I think Wyoming is getting to me; it has already touched my heart forever!

I LOVE WYOMING!!!!

Love,
Sister Kelly Smith

No comments: